Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is my rats leg broken?

My rat fell of a ledge that was about 1 and a half - 2 feet tall today. after he fell, his back right leg was dragging behind him as he was walking. when i touch it, he doesnt cringe or seem to show any pain. But i've also heard that rats don't show pain or weakness. Hes in his cage and hes not walking around.


Is it broken?


What should I do?Is my rats leg broken?
If he is dragging a leg, it is either broken, fractured, dislocated, or he has suffered a spinal injury (which is unlikely if it is just one leg dragging). He needs to get to a vet as soon as possible. There may not be much they can do as it is near impossible to set a rat's broken leg but if it is just a simple break they can give you some tips for caring for it or if it is bad they can amputate the foot.





Rats are conditioned to not show pain, as if they look weak in the wild predators will pick them out and hunt them down. I'm sure if he is dragging it that it is very painful.





If you leave it it will heal on its own, but it won't heal correctly and will be mostly useless for the rest of his life. If there is a fracture it may become infected and cause his death.





I really hope he gets better, good luck!Is my rats leg broken?
aw poor rat! when i was a kid i used to be very ruff with my gerbils sometimes I'd try to catch them but sometimes I would hit there leg my gerbil swung its leg around and didn't move I thought it was probably going to die but i just let it do its weird stuff and i put it in its cage and just waited till my gerbil healed it worked my gerbil was fine, Your rat might just have sprained its leg or it is probably broken try not to hurt it take it to a vet asap but don't move the leg carry it gently to the cage your going to take your little guy in be sure to make the cage comfy enough so the rat can rest its leg there hope your rat is ok :)
it can be anywhere from badly sprained to broken.


take him for a check up at the vets to be safe cause if it is broken and heals wrong it can cause a lot of problems.
It may be sprained, or the fall could have pulled it out of the socket. Take him to the vet.
It could be, yes. Or just hurting. Better safe than sorry, take him to a trained exotic vet immediately.
  • credit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment