Friday, February 5, 2010

Does compost attract rats, vermin?

I am in the midst of planting a garden and am thinking of starting a compost pile to deal with grass clippings food scraps etc, but have a concern about rats being attracted to the food. Does anybody have any advice, knowledge about this?Does compost attract rats, vermin?
Rats should not be a problem if you only put vegetable material into the mix, but you mention 'food scraps'. Never put meat etc into the compost heap or rats become a real likelihood.Does compost attract rats, vermin?
Make the foundation of your compost pile from dried leaves (you don't mention your browns, but I assume you know you need them) and grass. When you have food scraps, bury them as deeply inside the pile as possible so that scavengers (not only rats and mice, but also squirrels, raccoons, possums and dogs) can't find them. I wouldn't be bothered if a few mice showed up - I usually have some nesting in my pile, but I also have feral cats and snakes which keep them under control. I've never had rats.
it can if you dump food scraps in there. but i think you will find that your dog's bowel or your neighbor's dog attracts them more. i usually chop my compost with the mower and add paper and leaves in the mix ,that dilutes the usable food the rats can exploit . it's still there but more to work through .
Yes, compost needs to be in a bin that you can close up. Rats and mice love compost!
Yes it does now tonight dam it I found a dam mouse in my house eek !

No comments:

Post a Comment