Friday, February 5, 2010

My female rat pees all over where she sleeps and eats. Why is she doing this and how do I get her to stop?

Okay... here's a question for you. My female rat pees all over the multiple levels of her cage on the floor. She pees near her food and she sometimes sleeps in her urine as well. She's a very healthy girl, but I was just wondering if you had any idea why she was doing this, and what I could do to get her to stop.





She also pees when she's running around outside of her cage. It looks like marking droplets, but I'm not sure. What do I do to get her to stop this as well?My female rat pees all over where she sleeps and eats. Why is she doing this and how do I get her to stop?
I have two female rats and they've taught them selves to use one corner of the cage to mess in. Next time you clean her cage, leave some of her droppings in a corner that you want her to use as a toilet and eventually she may understand to use it. This is like habitual training.





Another thing to do is when you have your rat out for a run around and you want to put her back, put her on your shoulder before getting up and keep her there until you actually put her in the cage. Again this is training her. I've done it with my two girls and every time they want to go back they climb up onto my shoulders and wait. Obviously it's not fool proof where sometimes the poor girls just can't hold on and will mess on the couch, but they are usually good.





Remember if you are going to try this, it will take persistence and patience for it to work.





Some people use a little litter box, so maybe that's an option for when she is out of the cage. Again leave a bit of her mess in there so she knows what to do.





Hope this helps a little, i know it can be frustrating, I've been there :)My female rat pees all over where she sleeps and eats. Why is she doing this and how do I get her to stop?
She must be territorial. Female rats tend to be like that because when they have babies, they are marking the area as theirs, so the babies are protected. They do this even though there isn't any other rats or babies.
Some rats just are territorial. You might want to research more than just on Yahoo anwsers.
sorry to tell you but rats cannot control where they pee like humans, dogs or cats do.


its just the way they are, they cant control it it just kinda comes out when she needs to so there is no way of stopping her.alot of rodents are like that
I dont agree with most of the answeres here. they DO have controle over where they ee (even tho yes, they mark) it is posible she is incontenent..is she an older girl? I had a male that when he reache d a certain age he started to pee in his bed.
  • credit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment